Feedback Strategies

Article #1: Try Feedforward instead of Feedback by Marshall Goldsmith 

I like that this article seems to be more about work/business than about school and grading. It points out that leaders should take feedback from employees, just like employees need feedback from their leaders. It shows that feedback is necessary and should be welcomed by everyone. It also explains that feedback should focus on the future. It should be about what can improve and be better next time. I like that idea. I also like that it mentions how to take and work with feedback. One of the things the article suggests is to not critique the feedback/suggestions for the future. They call this process feedforward. It says that feedforward is better because it offers solutions, not just negative comments. I agree with this.  Basically, no one likes to get negative feedback. Usually, I  feel like studies focus on how the receiver can change to respond to the feedback better. Like, "don't take it personally" "learn to enjoy it", etc. I like that this article focuses on how to change feedback into something positive. With writing, I hate giving feedback because I feel like I don't deserve to be the one criticizing another persons work. I like that this article explains that it doesn't take an expert to try feedforward.

Article #2: The Difference Between Praise and Feedback by Anya Kamenetz 

This article is talking about fixed mindset! It explains the rebound effect of parents trying not to say "Good job" to their kids. This article is explain the real point behind a fixed mindset and guiding  children (and others) into liking a challenge. This article critiques the "process praise" idea from Carol Dweck. It's hard to give praise without effecting a child's brain apparently. The suggestion in the article is to spend more time on children's work. Ask them questions about it, appreciate the work and interact with it. This is opposed to just saying, "nice work!" and "good job" without  spending more time or thought into the praise. Giving feedback and tips is much more involved than simple praise. It takes more effort and time than and simple "i like this". For this reason, I agree that feedback is more useful and welcomed than praise. Personally, I like to combine praise and feedback. I like to focus on something that I really liked about the work, and something that I think could be better in the future.




I've always struggled with giving feedback. I think that I might come across as rude or snobby if I try to give advice on writing. However, I like the suggestions and ideas in these articles. Feedback can be positive and useful. It means that you are respecting the work (and the author) by taking time to interact with it. I think that I can work on being more confident in giving feedback. I might not be an expert in writing, but I'm still part of the audience. I can give an option and suggestion from that perspective!


Image Info:
"Tag": How To Give Feedback
Found on: Growth Mindset Padlet 

Comments

Popular Posts