Story Lab: Creative Life TED Talks (Week 6)

These notes/reflections are from this TED talk: A New Theory of Human Intelligence


  • This talk is about human intelligence. Who is considered intelligence? 
  • This is mostly about school life.
  • I agree with this
  • There are all kinds of different of kids/learners/personalities in a classroom- there's diversity 
  • Just because kids act/think different, doesn't mean they are unintelligent
  • He's talking about the IQ test. (should they be used to make decisions about students? uh, no) 
  • Don't judge kids! That's what I'm getting from this
  • "How can we help you get there"- I like that. I also like "socially creative" 
  • People are smart (intelligent) in different ways
  • You should set high expectations for kids, not limitations. 
As a future educator, I think this man's experience with the education system is really important. Other people were deciding how much he should be able to achieve He wanted to do better, and be better, but teachers held him back. They didn't believe that he could achieve his goals. Imagine what would have happened if he was given the support he deserved in high school. He was still able to accomplish so much, but maybe he could have accomplished even more if they gave him the chance. This story reminds me not to judge students. They can work hard, and they can reach goals. Test scores are just a number, they don't measure accurate ability. I think that schools are starting to realize this, so I hope the trend continues.







These notes/reflections are from this TED talk:   Copyright is Brain Damage 

  • Oh! This is the artist that made Sita Sings the Blues. I did like that movie
  • She didn't copyright her movie, which I thought was really cool
  • She makes a point that copyright doesn't make money for the artist (especially if they're dead)
  • I don't know that I agree with her that copyright isn't necessary- I think that people have a right to choose where they want their art to show up. If someone that didn't share your values used your art on their website or on a problematic blog post, it might reflect poorly on you as an artist. 
  • I like projects like creative commons, and copyright reform. Also, most people ignore copyright anyway. Things still get shared for free no matter what you do. For this reason, I don't know if there is a real problem with copyright and culture. 
  • I get her point, but I don't think that people really limit their brain based around permission culture or copyright. However, I do think that it limits art/expression if these things are copyright. 
  • I like that she is just going to release whatever she wants. 
  • Oh! A clip from another movie, that's exciting
I get what she is saying, but I don't think that I really agree with ignoring copyright. This could be because I am not an artist. Copyright makes sure that the artist gets a say in how their art is used. Artists should be able to have control over their art. We should value are just like how we value other forms of work. Now, if the artist wants to give their work out freely, they should do that! But, I just don't agree that copyright is worthless and should be thrown out. Instead, it should be fixed and simplified.

Image info:
TED Talk
Found on: Forbes

Comments

Popular Posts