Learning Challenge: Reading About Empathy





Reading and Empathy
  • This article says that reading makes us healthier, smarter, and more empathic animals
    • as a future English teacher, I agree! 
  • Reading requires patience, diligence, and determination 
    • This is true, like reading is real work! All the decoding, thinking, and the eye strain
    • I like how it points out that reading seems like even more work with the social media age- Twitter makes it feel like your reading/learning, but it's not enough to get the workout of reading a book!
    • Reading can increase white matter! And it helps information be processed more efficiently!
  • Reading also allows us to practice empathy! Sharing other people's emotions. You experience their joy and pain as your own
  • Can you learn to understand others more? Yes
  • Reading helps with fluid intelligence, reading comprehension and emotional intelligence
  • It helps you write better also! 
  • This article was fun, but I really already knew most of this information. One thing I didn't consider was the attention aspect of reading. It used to be so easy for me to focus on a book, but now with my smartphone/TV/social media, I find it very hard to concentrate.
  • One of the reasons I love to read is because of empathy. 
    • You really do care about more people the more you read. It makes you consider and imagine things you never would have thought about. 
    • I feel like I become a nicer, more understanding person everytime I read a new book.  
  • I would like to learn more about the other ways that reading affects the brain. There has to be something about speaking/word building that only happens when you read
  • I also want to know if reading can improve memory. I want to say yes, because I want to have a better memory! 







Image Information:
Reading and Empathy
Found on: Literacy Works 

Comments

Popular Posts