Week 9 Reading Notes: Epified Mahabharata Part A

Image result for google epifiedThese notes are from this playlist of Epified Mahabharata videos  

  • The video makes note that there are many different versions of the Mahabharata
  • "The spirit of India"
  • Oh, "this is a new version of the Mahabharata", it adds to the tradition
  • Account of how karma functions-I never thought of that
  • Ganga, River Goddess
    • This is the queen drowning all the babies
    • Allows the 8th child to live
    • Why? The Vasus (crimes commited long ago) (I think that's the cow thing)
  • 16 years later--the king meets his son (the new prince)
  • And then there was a new kingdom- falls in love
  • This story still moves so fast! 
  • I like this telling, but I wish they wrote some of the names out
  • I still don't really understand all the complex marriage and relationship things
  • He vows never to marry!
  • I like the art, and the background music
  • Oh, I remember the king stealing the 3 princesses
    •  I feel bad that the girl is rejected from her true love
    • Guys are rude
    • What happens to this girl?
    • Everyone says no to her!
    • She blamed him for her misfortune, she wants vengeance--I totally get her
    • She goes to a sage (Vishnu avatar?)
    • A fight to the death! Woo. 
    • Why can't the girl fight him?
    • And, there is no solution  
  • Thank God they are recapping lol
  • The ugly sage! I remember this one!
  • I also wish they would do some analysis- like what does all of this mean??
  • So, all this build up is just the background of the 2 families? Like how all of the sons are born
  • There is a blind king-a pale king-and then a mighty king
    • Haha it has the sage and servant high five
  • Pandu (archer), Vidu (wise man), and Distrast?? (blind king). These are the sons of Vyasa
  • Oh, time for the feuds to begin! 
  • Demi Gods and Demons 
  • The blind king takes the throne 
  • Pandu really rules- because why?? Everyone likes him?
  • I feel bad for Dhritarashtra 
    • That's nice of her to give up her sight!
    • Now the kingdom is happy!
  • Pandu gets married now too
  • So Pandu and Dhritarashtra are brothers, so all of their sons are cousins- that's the layout of the 2 sides of the war--why do they all start fighting? Jealousy i think 
  • These videos helped me get some of the characters straight, but all of the tiny background stories in the beginning are still really confusing for me
  • So much happens in such a short time frame. I don't know how everyone remembers all of these stories so well! The Ramayana was like this as well, but since it mostly focused on Rama, it was much easier to remember everyone.  


Image Information: 
Epified Logo 
Found on: Folomojo 

Comments

Popular Posts