Week 2 Reading Overview

I decided to read the online edition (public domain) version of the Ramayana. Usually, I would prefer to read the novel edition, but I accidentally ordered the wrong copy of the Ramayana. I don't want to buy it again or return the copy that I bought. So I will try out the online versions! I liked the look of the public domain website and I think it will be interesting to read versions by different authors. I do have the Narayana version of the Mahabharata, so I will get to experience both versions of the readings. I think that it will make for a nice change of pace during the course. 


I'm interested in this comic book mostly because the story sounds intense. It has kidnapping and a sacrifice! I love drama between characters and lots of action in stories. I don't know much about these characters yet, but I think it would be an entertaining read. I also like that it's a story that isn't in every version of the Ramayana. I love to read variations of stories, and learn why they were added or changed. 


This comic book doesn't have a lot of information about it on the page, but the title is what made me curious about the story. I want to know more about the character, and why she is the forgotten wife. The cover of the comic also looks promising, with a woman surrounded by animals on the cover. 


I just like learning about powerful women! I don't know this for sure (yet), but I thought that Indian Mythology had a variety of women goddesses/ characters. I would like to learn more about them. 


I've heard of Diwali, which is why I am interested in this video. I don't know much about the holiday, but I know that it is supposed to be a celebration. I want to know more about the stories behind the celebration and the traditions at go along with the holiday. 

The picture below is a painting of the demon king, perhaps the villain of the story?


Image Information: 
Ravana painting 

Comments

Popular Posts